By having a 2 week old baby, possibilities are you are really still aligning to motherhood. You might be settling into a rhythm along with your little 2 week old baby and also understanding every single thing from their little signals in regard to hunger to what the various kinds of cries mean. There’s still a lot to learn. The following is simply what you can hope for from way of life as a mother of a 2 week old baby.
Week two with your child is actually an amazing moment. You and your 2 week old baby may likely both be experiencing a little bit more alert and awake after birth, therefore this particular week is definitely the moment to be familiar with each other much more and possibly begin experiencing the whole world a little bit. (However not really far too much– you’re still recuperating!).
As you journey through the week together, start adding a sleep routine, but don’t overstress much about it yet. Your 2 week old baby is still creating brain development and body clocks that will certainly develop a routine later on.
This week, you’ll intend to go with the flow of feeding. Your 2 week old baby will certainly undergo a large development surge this week, so you may seem like you’re feeding continuously. Start monitoring to see if your infant is wetting at the very least 6 baby diapers a day and also as well as experiencing a minimum of 3 unclean baby diapers of yellow-colored, “shabby” feces.
Remember to check back in on your own and also notice how you’re really feeling. If you have actually given birth to your baby, week 2 will certainly mark an essential shift time for you as your body hormones change alter after birth, so make certain to speak to your spouse and your doctor concerning your psychological health and wellness.
In This Article
- 1 2 week old baby development and milestones
- 2 Baby Care Basics
- 3 Health, Safety and Security of your 2 week old Child
2 week old baby development and milestones
It might not look like your 2 week old baby is doing a lot of anything nowadays — besides eating, pooping, and sleeping. Your 2 week old baby is actually using his or her baby brain too much, cycling between intently watching what’s going on (called the quiet alert mode), moving actively, and even making small sounds (called the active alert mode). She’s additionally crying, sleeping (in either the quiet sleep mode or the active sleep mode), and also spending quality time in a sleepy stage (when the infant’s either ready to fall asleep or just awakening). Study very carefully, and gradually you’ll have the ability to react to your child’s various mindsets.
Although your 2 week old baby seems like a helpless newborn, she’s making lots of developmental strides this week, including being able to focus on a face with her sweet little eyes. And speaking of those eyes, it’s clearly too early to recognize without a doubt what color they’ll end up being. Many light-skinned infants are born with dark blue or slate-colored eyes, and also a lot of dark-skinned children show up with dark brownish eyes. A baby’s true eye color doesn’t usually make itself fully known until somewhere between 6 and 9 months and can keep changing until as late as the first birthday.
Development of your 2 week old baby
You can begin writing those weight gain publications starting this week. The majority of infants will certainly have gained back or exceeded their birth weight by 10 to 14 days of life thanks to all the feeding they’re doing– whether that nourishment originates from the bottle or the breast.
Some infants that get off to a sluggish start in the breastfeeding division might take a little bit longer to start putting on extra pounds, yet as long as your infant’s medical professional isn’t worried, you should not be either. Simply see to it you are feeding your kid every 2 to 3 hrs. (checking from the beginning of one feed to the beginning of the following).
Developing Milestones of your 2 week old baby
The significant developing milestone that accompanies a 2 week old baby is that they will certainly be a lot sharper than the previous week and also have the ability to remain awake for a longer time. You might also notice your newborn’s eyes will look like they roll back in their head or cross due to this. This is typical, so do not be upset.
During birth, your baby might have additionally experienced light scratches or bruises on the eyelids from delivery, which ought to go away by this week. Some babies might also have broken capillaries in their eyes at birth from the force of contraction and delivery. Those red areas should resolve at some point this week.
Notice any type of new birthmarks that appear this week. One kind of birthmark, called the strawberry hemangioma, does not show up at birth however can unexpectedly show up some weeks later on. You might likewise see that light-colored birthmark shows up to dim as your infant grows.
If you notice an uncommon birthmark on your 2 week old baby, consult your doctor, as some might require to be dealt with, particularly if they are on or really near the eyes or mouth.
Your 2 week old baby must have the ability to:
- Cry when uncomfortable, starving, or picky.
- Listen to loud sounds or noises.
- Have a startle reflex.
- Briefly raise the head up.
- See your face from a short-range. Commonly, infants have the most effective vision in a range that equals the distance you are in when you are nursing.
When Should You Be Worried?
For a 2 week old baby, there is still time before any type of possible problems might occur. If there are any problems with hearing, the baby’s hearing screen could help determine. If your baby doesn’t appear to react to loud noises at all, have problems waking up for food, or seems suffering and also is sobbing inconsolably, you should consult your doctor.
A Suggestion from The Cradle Rocks:
Visit your doctor if your 2 week old baby doesn’t seem to respond to loud noises at all.
A Day in the Life
Your 2 week old baby will be more alert than they were during their first week of life, there is still a lot of sleeping going on — up to 18 hours per day. As you begin to really feel more powerful as well as able to move much more, you might think about utilizing a baby carrier to make your child near to you or your spouse around your residence.
The majority of babies at this age are comforted by keeping them close to moms and dads and also, as a tip, skin-to-skin care has a great deal of wellness advantages for infants too, consisting of advertising weight gain, increasing the supply of breast milk, and also regulating the body temperature.
Baby Care Basics
Among the most amazing 2 week old baby milestones that can take place throughout this 2nd week is that when your 2 week old baby umbilical cord drops off, bathing time just gets on! If your little one is a fan of the water, break out that baby bathtub and see. Don’t worry if they aren’t. Chances are, they’ll discover to take pleasure in bathing as they grow up.
It may be okay to make a schedule for bathroom time to help your child find notice the change around those times and adjust to it. A night-time routine can help “cue” your baby that sleep is on the horizon. Lots of sleep specialists suggest you do not make use of feeding as a means to make your baby sleep, although, it might be a bit harder to avoid at this age.
Rather, attempt a bathroom as well as baby massage therapy prior to laying him or her to sleep. Bear in mind that newborn babies do not necessarily need to be bathed every day. At this age, a bathroom as rarely as once a week or every couple of days can be sufficient.
Umbilical Cord Care
If your 2 week old baby umbilical cord hasn’t fallen off already, you may need to talk to your doctor about techniques on how to dry it out. Stay clear of getting it exceedingly wet and also offer your child lots of “airing out” time. Be sure the skin folds around the cord aren’t making it too wet, and also never ever pull on the cord or attempt to loosen it. It will certainly come off when it is ready to, that’s a promise.
Wondering what to do with it if it does come off? You’re not alone if you feel like keeping it. Some moms and dads hold on to their child’s umbilical cords, however, what you choose to do with your child’s is totally up to you. It’s fine to just throw it away also.
Baby diaper Changes ( When 2 week old baby poop)
When it comes to baby diaper task, your 2 week old baby ought to be done passing meconium, the black, tarry feces that takes place throughout the very first couple of days of life. Following this period, your infant must pass 3 or even more loose stools each day. These can look yellow or “shabby” in look.
Your 2 week old baby needs to likewise have 6 or even more damp baby diapers with pee every day. If you’re having difficulty understanding specifically if your child has actually had a wet baby diaper, make use of the non-reusable baby diapers with the indicator lines or patterns on them to help you understand for certain.
Feeding & Nutrition
If you’re breastfeeding, your newborn baby will be awakening every 2 to 3 hrs. to feed, and the feedings will last anywhere from 15 mins to nearly an hr., bear in mind, your nursing sessions begin with the moment your infant begins their feeding. If you start feeding your baby at around 2 a.m. and they eat for nearly an hour and stop nursing at around 3 a.m., it’s plausible and entirely possible that your baby will want to eat again at around 4 a.m.!
So, in this stage, breastfeeding can seem like a full-time project, however, it will certainly become less regular as your 2 week old baby grows. Bear in mind, there is a severe development surge taking place now, which indicates your child will certainly require added nutrition this week. If your baby is formula-fed with breast milk, he or she might sleep for longer stretches at once. However, he or she will certainly still need to eat at the very least every 4 or 5 hrs.
A 2 week old baby will certainly need a lot of feedings to grow and also develop perfectly, so it’s specifically crucial for you to find out how to identify your baby’s hunger hints. Your 2 week old baby may be stressed or too frustrated to latch on if you’re nursing or too tired to eat at all if you wait till your baby is crying before breastfeeding him or her. Notice these common signs to show you when your baby is hungry. They will certainly be:
- Awake and very sharp or just wake up and unable to sleep.
- Moving arms and legs here and there.
- Placing fingers or clenched fist into the mouth.
- Sucking on the lips or tongue.
- Moving the head back and forth.
- Turning towards your breast while being held.
- Cooing, sighing, whining, or making various other little sounds.
- Making faces.
- Restless, wriggling, fussing, fidgeting, or shaking.
Knowing these appetite signs may likewise help you to see that a 2 week old baby will not always consume on a routine timetable or scheduled times. Rather, your infant might intend to nurse or consume sometimes in a brief duration and after that go to sleep—an activity called cluster or bunch feeding. This pattern of feeding is common and should not be a reason for worry. When your baby looks hungry, offer the breast even if it’s frequent.
Your 2 week old baby will certainly be sleeping a lot, as much as 18 hrs. a day and also for a longer period of time. As stated by the American Academy of Pediatrics. If your child is not jaundiced and also is having around 6 wet baby diapers as well as 3 unclean baby diapers a day, it is risk-free and very safe to enable them to sleep for around 5 hrs. or longer in a stretch.
As you get stronger, you might have the wish to be more “on the move” this week. Please bear in mind the American Academy of Pediatrics risk-free and safe sleeping standards keep the safest place for your infant to sleep is alone in their very own baby crib or cradle. This indicates you must avoid allowing your infant to go to sleep or remain asleep in:
- Car seats.
- Bouncy seats or various other sorts of child seats.
- Your arms or your companion’s arms.
New moms and dads commonly worry over waking the baby up if they go to sleep anywhere apart from the baby crib or cradle, yet to adhere to the safe sleep standards you ought to constantly move your infant right into the baby crib.
Health, Safety and Security of your 2 week old Child
There are no well-visits or shots this week (hurray!), however there’s still plenty to find out about your kid’s health and wellness.
If your child has currently had the very first well-child examination with the doctor, they could not require an additional one till they get to the one-month mark. If there is a detailed problem, your doctor might desire or comply with various standards to see your child.
Your 2-weeks-old baby should not require any type of brand-new vaccines if they receive the Hepatitis B vaccination at birth. The emphasis of this phase is truly eating and growing, to ensure that’s what the doctor will certainly be keeping track of.
The various other top priority at this age is safety and security for you and also for your 2 week old baby. Comply with these pointers as you enter into week 2 and beyond:
- Never ever leave your baby alone on a bed, altering table, sofa, or any kind of raised surface You might not assume your infant can relocate really much, however, children might obtain shocked and also slide or perhaps “run” to a side and also loss.
- Do not hesitate to establish your very own regulations concerning taking your infant out in public or limiting visitors. Your infant’s body immune system is still creating as well as if they have any type of medical or special requirements, it’s a lot more vital to decrease direct exposure to bacteria. You have every right to do so if you feel like staying home or asking visitors to stay away until your baby gets older.
- Receive your inoculations. It’s not too late to get the whooping cough vaccination if you haven’t yet. Anybody that takes care of your child or remains in routine contact with your child, such as a companion, grandparents, or a sitter, must likewise get immunized.
- Recognize the symptoms and signs of disease. These consist of a temperature level of 100.4 levels Fahrenheit, reduced hunger, throwing up, impatience, and also sleepiness. If your baby exhibits any of these signs, call a doctor right away.
At week 2, your medical professional or OB/GYN might additionally wish to set up a visit to see you. The “child blues” (regular psychological up and down after birth) might be pertaining to an end this week. They are different from postpartum depression, which has a tendency to establish later on.
At this time, seeing you can assist you, your medical professional, companion or loved ones discuss postpartum anxiety and also see to it you are really feeling psychologically healthy and balanced as well as have a strategy in position if any type of indications develops.
At 2 weeks right into parenting, the adrenaline, as well as excitement of seeing an infant, can begin to diminish, and also the fact of sleep fatigue, deprivation, and stress begin to settle in. It’s more crucial than ever before to be sensible with what you can achieve, so accept and seek assistance if you can. Understand prospective physical concerns you might run into, such as:.
- Breastfeeding problems: As your milk supply remains to expand as well as change, you might run into many more problems this week with nursing. If your baby’s latch is incorrect, it may cause you pain, cracked or bleeding nipples, or even your baby may refuse to nurse. Schedule a visit with a lactation consultant or consult your doctor if you are experiencing any of these issues.
- Mastitis: Mastitis is a problem that can accompany breastfeeding, particularly if you have an over-supply of breast milk or your baby is having difficulty-totally emptying your breasts. Milk can end up being “obstructed” in the milk ducts and also ultimately bring about an excruciating infection that requires to be treated with prescription antibiotics. If you experience any kind of high temperature and also frustrating tiredness together with a tender, reddened area in your breast, it might be a clogged duct or mastitis. Take Ibuprofen, if your physician encourages it, massage the area with a warm cloth or in the shower, as well as feed your infant frequently, even if it hurts to attempt to clear the area. If it does not clear by itself, you will certainly need to see a medical professional regarding to dealing with the infection.
- Post-birth difficulties: By week 2, as your body continues to recover, it’s likewise a great suggestion for you to be observant of any type of possible post-birth issues. If you have actually had a C-section, inspect your cut for any type of redness or enhanced inflammation, swelling, tenderness or drainage.
If you have actually had a vaginal delivery, you ought to likewise observe any kind of unexpected increase in blood loss (it must have reduced, yet you might still bleed for as much as 6 weeks), large clots, foul-smelling discharge, or enhanced pain in the pelvic area. An excellent general rule to remember is that you should start feeling better at this point, not worse, so if that changes, seek medical advice.
I hope you enjoyed this short 2 week old baby milestones and development guide, please feel free to share and leave any questions or feedback in the comment section.